Home for the HolidaysNovember 20, 2015
The 21st Annual Holiday Historic Homes Tour, presented by Marion County Historical Society, will take place Saturday, November 28th. Pre-ordered tickets are $16 and can be purchased by check to MCHS, P.O. Box 1636, Fairmont, WV 26555-1636. Students receive a discount with their student IDs. Tickets the day of are $18, and you can buy them starting at 9:45 a.m. at the Museum. The tour begins at 10 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m.
Some courtesy rules to follow. This tour is designed for adults. Respect your host’s’ privacy and possessions and please ask for the owner’s permission to take photographs. No soliciting of any kind. Remember that many of our tour locations are privately owned homes. There may be family emergencies that occur that can affect the availability of the home for the tour. Information has been provided by the owners.
What can you expect on this year’s tour . . . .
1. The Marion County Museum (former sheriff’s home) – 210 Adams Street, Fairmont
The sheriff’s home and connecting county jail was designed in 1909. The first sheriff to reside here in 1913 was Calvin D. Conaway. The design of this complex is unique in that the sheriff could go to his home, jail and courthouse without ever going outside. All three structures still have a common utilities connection from 1909. The last sheriff to live in the house was in 1985. In 1986 this house became the Marion County Museum.
2 . Soon to be an antique clock repair shop – 124 Adams Street, Fairmont This was originally built in 1914 as a filler store. The new owners are trying to restore it to its former glory after being vacant for 24 years.
3. First Presbyterian Church – 301 Jackson Street, Fairmont
This Church is celebrating its 200th Birthday. The land was donated by Boaz Fleming, the founder of Fairmont and Marion County. The outstanding stained glass window has recently been restored.
4. Jolliffe House – 320 Madison Street, Fairmont
This home was designed by the original owner, Marcelle Jolliffe and his wife. He was sheriff of Marion County in 1901. This is the last residential home in the downtown area and has been in the same family since is was originally built. The upstairs contains much of the original furnishings which match the different woodwork and bathroom. The rose bush beside the home was planted in 1903.
5. The Yarmchuck Home – 506 Pittsburgh Avenue, Fairmont
This home was built in 1900 by CW Morgan. The two Morgan brothers built brick houses side by side with a sidewalk leading from one kitchen door to the other. Original and still in view are three fireplaces, pocket doors, hardwood floors, four stained glass transom windows and attached garage boasting a tin ceiling
6. The Meredith House – 1312 Pennsylvania Avenue, Fairmont
The Federal Italianate style, two-story wood frame home was built prior to 1860 by William Meredith, a manufacturer of lumber as well a contractor. He was a Captain commissioned by Governor Pierpont as well as a Justice of the Peace and the first Mayor of Belleview then known as Barnsville. His son, Judge Winfield Scott Meredith, next occupied the house. He served as a director of the People’s National Bank of Fairmont, a State Senator and a Judge of the Circuit Court of Marion County. Extensive renovations have been going on since 1990 by present owners of the house. Traditional live music will be playing here.
7. David Morgan Homestead – 418 Sugar Lane, Rivesville, WV
The house was built in the 1840s and is the last original Morgan Home standing in the Monongahela Valley. The present owners have been working for 11 years restoring the house while they lived in Williamsburg VA. There is a slave entrance and dove coops. Christmas decorations will be of that time period. Daniel Boone was said to be a frequent visitor to this home. The house is also referred to as the Pinkney-Morgan House, and is the harrowing site of Morgan’s famous fight against two Native Americans (one of the three paintings in Marion County Courthouse). Morgan was nearly 60 at the time of his victorious scuffle. The legend of the historic battle has been passed down through generations, and is told many ways.
8. Arthur G. Martin House – 201 Watson Avenue, Fairmont
This American Arts & Crafts (cratsman style) Home is attributed to a commissioned Gusstav Stickley Design. Photos of the home are featured on pages 438, 439 and 440 of the book, “Stickley’s Craftsman Homes” by Ray Stubblebine. Arthur G. Martin, mayor of Fairmont, had the home built as his residence in 1911.
9. The Fleming Apartments – 221 Fairmont Avenue, Fairmont
The Structure was built in 1890 by the Fleming sisters as apartments for males. Notice the mosaic entry way with “F” in the center. Although now a business, the owners have kept all of the original structure and rooms.
10. Our Country Corner – 225 Fairmont Avenue, Fairmont
Now a store, the owners have been restoring this 1800’s building to its former beauty. The interior of the home has been restored and this year they completed the restoration of the brick exterior.
If you’re interested in historic home exploration, purchase your ticket today. The Historical Society is open Monday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.