Barrackville Covered Bridge
This 148-foot, single-lane bridge, was originally built in 1853 by Eli and Lemuel Chenoweth, West Virginia’s pioneer bridge builders. It is an excellent example of a modified Burr truss and it is in near original condition. On April 29, 1863, it was saved from destruction during the Jones-Imboden Raid preliminary to the Battle of Fairmont. During the raid, the Ice Family, nearby mill owners and Confederate sympathizers, convinced Confederate General William ‘Grumble’ Jones to save the bridge. Located in Barrackville, off U.S. Rt. 250 N, County Rt. 21 at the junction of 250/32.