Barrackville was settled in 1767 by William Galloway “Indian Billy” Ice and named in honor of John Barrack, an early pioneer. The town was incorporated on January 25, 1968.
Barrackville is home to the Barrackville Covered Bridge, the second oldest covered bridge in West Virginia and a stop on the Civil War Trail. Built by master bridge builders Eli and Lemuel Chenoweth in 1853, the Barrackville Covered Bridge is a 148-foot single-lane Burr truss that spans across Buffalo Creek. During the Jones-Imboden Raid, General William E. “Grumble” Jones initially intended to destroy the bridge but decided to spare it after being persuaded by the Ice family, nearby mill owners, and Confederate sympathizers. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Barrackville holds an annual Christmas in Our Town event every December to celebrate the holiday season.