This nationally registered historic site was originally built in 1774 as a refuge fort on the western Virginia frontier. Reconstructed in 1976, today costumed interpreters recreate 18th-century lifestyles through demonstration of colonial crafts. Also on the property is the 1859 Job Prickett house that illustrates the development of an increasingly civilized lifestyle through an 85-year span. Visitor Center with Orientation Gallery and Museum Gift Shop are open year-round free of charge. Tours of both structures and special events are offered in season.