Be Free in MarionSeptember 6, 2023
They say the United States is the land of the free. Well, we’re taking it to the next level.
Everyone likes being free, and everyone also likes free stuff. Marion County has many things for you to do with your freedom. Keep in mind, the laws aren’t much different in Marion County than the rest of the country, but the offerings are!
- Valley Falls State Park: A beautiful place for relaxing, celebrating and exercising — and it’s completely free. Come bask in the sun as you relax on the rocks listening to the waves. Have your birthday party or get-together where you’re close to fun and the perfect background for all your pictures! The serenity is free and so are the trails.
- Located within the state park, Prickett’s Fort Memorial Foundation uses a living history style of interpretation to preserve, document and exhibit the past. It features an 18th century recreation of the original Pricketts Fort which provided a place of refuge from Native American attack. In addition, enjoy visiting the original 19th century Job Prickett House. Although there is an admission for the tours, browse the Visitor Center, Museum, Gift Shop and Prickett Cemetery free of charge. Throughout the summer enjoy free concerts in the fort’s amphitheater.
- Music, performances, yoga (donation), water activities and more are completely free at Palatine Park. All are family-friendly activities on a gorgeous riverfront. Check the calendar to see what plays, bands or farmers markets are coming up next!
- History and education should be free to all, and that’s how it is here in Marion! The Veterans Memorial and Civil War Trail Markers are free to see and learn. Don’t forget about the Marion County Historical Society’s museum and jail where you can learn the ins and outs (literally) of Marion’s history.
- Browse Market Street during Mannington’s Octoberfest or enjoy a free concert at the Winterpark Garden.
- Shopping isn’t free, but Arts & Antiques Marketplace has more than shopping! After meandering through all the cute shops in the marketplace, take a peek at the coal mine display on the second floor. It’s a 3D snapshot of life back when!
- Enjoy all the fairs and festivals that Marion uses to celebrate all kinds of lovely things! Coming up in December is the Feast of Seven Fishes Festival where you can hear live music and try samples of Italian cuisine and other delicious things (and then buy even more!).
- BerTeas is the new and only tea shop in town with amazing flavors you only dreamed of! It’s not free — usually. Check their Facebook for the name of the day; you just might get a free tea!
If you’ve got the gear, enjoy one of the nicest disc golf courses in the state, the Seth Burton Memorial Disc Golf Complex at Morris Park. And if you don’t have the gear? The disc golf trail is a great nature walk and the paved walking path provides a beautiful 1.3 mile loop to walk your dog, run or bike.
- Tring to get from point A to point B? If you’re pretty active, you can do just that on the county’s rail trails. They’re all over and can take you from Fairmont to Morgantown — if you’re willing to walk, run or bike through perfectly maintained and beautiful paved (and gravel) trails.
In the end it’s not about the money you do or don’t spend, but the memories you make! Come make your memories in Marion in part because, well, some of them are free!