Everything ItalianAugust 29, 2013
Italians do it right; we celebrate for days! Come visit one of the “Top 100 Events in North America”… including Canada!
The West Virginia Italian Heritage Festival (WVIHF) has been a tradition for 35 years. That’s right, 35 years of pride in our history, enthusiasm for good food and a love of dancing in the streets!
Can’t make the weekend’s activities? We have what you need to create an authentic Italian American visit. Stop by for directions, lodging, Italian American restaurants, Italian American recreation, and a quick cup of coffee- very important to an Italian diet.
First, maybe you need time to acclimate to the Italian American way.
· Why not play some indoor bocce ball, otherwise known as bowling! Make a trip to Valley Worlds of Fun or try Fairmont Bowling Center to regulate your culture shock.
· Or, experience, in the most fun way possible, the history of many Italian Americans’ daily lives. Play a round at Coal Country Miniature Golf, complete with coal mine themes throughout each hole. Make it educational too: take a tour of the Coal Museum for a deeper understanding.
After the adjustment, you may be in need a real meal…
· Muriale’s- No one, Italian or otherwise, can come to North Central West Virginia and not experience the fine tastes of Muriale’s Restaurant. It’s decadent, it’s old country and it’s lovely. Wine, food, desserts and coffee become more here. It’s not Italian food, it’s Italian cuisine.
· Colasessano’s- Don’t miss lunch, and don’t miss out! This Italian American restaurant is authentic, with its aromatic pizzas and huge pepperoni rolls. Staying true to their roots, they also offer multiple flavors of Gelato, the perfect end to an Italian meal.
· Say-Boy restaurant- You’ll feel like you’re home again. That is, if home has become even more welcoming, full of food, and full of enjoyable conversation! This is Italian food done the Marion County way.
It’s been a big, busy day for Americans and Italian Americans alike. Don’t fade now, the celebration is just beginning!
· Tuscan Sun Spa– Nostalgic for the beautiful city of Tuscany, Italy? It’s just too bad it’s so far away. Get the next best thing right here in Fairmont! Take a break and pamper yourself with mani/pedis, massages, facials, Aveda skin care and so much more!
Italian heritage is fun, full of good food and great entertainment. But don’t let that fool you: we’ve got a serious side too.
Immerse yourself in the Italian culture! Go to Mass at any of our beautiful Catholic churches.
· Immaculate Conception Parish
· Saint Peter the Fisherman Catholic Parish
The festival comes but once a year, sadly. But the experience does not…
· Kerri’s Korner– Browse their new and used collections, find some Italian American books to keep the spirit alive! Try Italians in West Virginia, The Godfather, A Bell for Adano, or Granny Torrelli Makes Soup.
Frank and Jane Gabor Folklife Center – offers a glimpse into how Italian immigrant laborers and their communities shaped the region’s history.
· Country Club Bakery– Get some pepperoni rolls to take with you to re-experience West Virginia’s Italian American heritage!
We’ll see you back for more Italian American fun at the annual Feast of the Seven Fishes Festival – which is held the second Saturday in December. The Festival celebrates the Italian Christmas Eve tradition. It’s a one day event with food, shopping, music, cooking demos, fish and a street market.
Fino a quando ci incontreremo di nuovo!