The Last Hoorah
14 great ways to enjoy the end of summerAugust 5, 2019
- Rent some fun at Wood’s Boat House: kayaks, WaveRunners, boats and other aqua-adventure gear are calling your name!
- Maybe you prefer a more controlled water environment. For that, we have multiple pools to choose from. For those who’d like to pretend they’re in a real-life aqua-adventure, the Wave Pool at East Marion Park has just the intermittent fun you’re looking for. For people who’d prefer calmer waters, Mannington Pool and 12th Street Pool are very relaxing options.
- If you’re more of a land animal, spend your last, few, precious days at Valley Falls State Park. Hike the trails, sunbathe on the rocks, breathe in the fresh air and listen to the sounds of nature… because soon you’ll be listening to the sounds of your alarm clock.
- Coal Country Miniature Golf & Batting Cages is a great place to let off some steam – especially at the batting cages. Or enjoy some time with friends, family, and popsicles out on the course.
- See a show at Palatine Park. The newly released Dumbo is playing Aug. 17. Get your tomatoes for school while you’re there at the Tomato Festival Aug. 18. And check out some blues – how apropos for this time of year – at the Blues Rendezvous on Aug. 24.
Eat what you want before school starts and so too the need for proper nutrition to fuel a thinking brain…
- Although it’ll be open for a couple of months longer, Dairy Creme Corner is a Marion County essential to the last hoorah
- You know what helps to get through the first week of school? Looking forward to fun at the end! Take a load off with some international street food at Short Story Brewing or relax at The Rambling Root with some Appalachian inspired German cuisine.
What’s most important to a last hoorah is not to stress about what comes after. But if you are stressing about the new school year, take the edge off with…
- A body wrap, scrub or massage at Spa Oasis! What they’re best known for, however, is their lovely salt pods. Float to your heart’s content in a pool of Epsom salt. You can’t put a price on relaxation!
- Or take your stress and anxiety to the yoga studio. Main Street Yoga has classes geared to everyone’s ability. Discover the restoring effects of the Restorative Yoga class; the relaxing effects of the Evening Yoga class; and the strengthening effects of the Yoga for Strength class.
So enjoy the end of the summer with one last hoorah But take heart: There’s no end to Marion County!